A Day In the Life Of Downtown Muskegon


People often claim that there is nothing to do in Downtown Muskegon. But I disagree. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Boots and I am ten years old. I am an Event Planner with the Watermark Center. I spend a lot of time downtown due to my glamorous job and I am here to tell you about all of the amazing things to do in Downtown Muskegon...from a kids perspective. 

It was an early Saturday morning and the grass was wet with dew. My stepmom, Sarah Sass and I got ready to go to downtown. That morning I had a different feeling than usual as we had a lot to accomplish before noon and I was really excited. 

First up: Yoga Class at Rootdown. We did yoga positions such as upward facing dog and warrior pose as well as lots of stretching. It was a great way to start our morning. 

Check out Rootdown here:  Rootdown

Here I am getting ready to get in yoga position

Insider tip: After your class stop at the juice/smoothie/salad bar and do yourself a favor and grab a healthy drink to start your lovely day. 
I enjoyed a smoothie with oranges and bananas. 
I talked to Dan who works there and he was great at recommending things
I would like and he also taught our class!


After yoga we walked over to Hackley Park where they had a dancing class going on and we joined in even though we were a little late. The dances were very different, but still very fun to do. It was really cold outside so we danced for a few songs and then we made our way down to the Muskegon Farmer's Market. I was very energized and already having a great day in Downtown Muskegon. 

At the Muskegon Farmer's Market we checked out everything from hanging plants to flavored noodles and beautiful pottery. We ended up with one huge fern, two kinds of handmade jam, Michigan apples, some tasty granola made in Michigan and some noodles that were made by a man right at Kitchen 242, which is inside the Muskegon Farmer's Market. 
He told us that you didn't need any flavored sauce with his noodles because all of the noodles had infused flavor. You just had to cook and eat!! 
His noodle company is Frescomercato and you can check it out here: Fresco Mercato

Check out the Muskegon Farmer's Market here: Greater Muskegon Farmer's Market

Muskegon Farmer's Market Insider Tip: It's a good idea to talk to the vendors and farmers and see where your goods come from and how they are made. 

After the Farmer's Market we drove down to The Coffee Factory. The Coffee Factory is part of our Watermark company and conveniently located next to my office. It's pretty cool being a 10 year old kid with a job AND a coffee shop. :-) At The Coffee Factory we grabbed a chai latte for me and a Madcap Coffee for Sarah as well as some energy bites for later. 
Check out The Coffee Factory here: The Coffee Factory

Insider Tip: Always get your chai latte with whole milk or soy milk, it tastes so good! 
Also we make the best smoothies! 

Up next we decided we really needed a little Cotswold in our lives so Sarah and I headed off to the Cheese Lady for the best cheese in West Michigan! I love looking at everything in this store. The fridges and freezers and shelves are full of tasty treats. Here we got some Cotswold and some Irish cheddar. We also grabbed some chicken sausage to go with our noodles from the Farmers Market.
Check out The Cheese Lady here: The Cheese Lady

Insider Tip: try new and different types of cheeses before you check out. See something interesting? They let you try the cheese before you buy it! Have a taste!

We heard that the Greater Muskegon Woman's Club was having a Junk to Jewels sale and since we love to shop we had to check it out. The club was filled with tables full of treasures, You know what they say...one man's junk is another Bootsy's treasure...we didn't buy anything here but we enjoyed looking. We tried to negotiate a deal on a vintage bike but were shot down. I love going to the Woman's Club, everyone there is super nice and my Aunt Laurel Sass is the President!
Check out the Greater Muskegon Woman's Club here: Greater Muskegon Woman's Club

Insider tip: Be sure to use your manners at the club! 
I have attended many lunches and events here and I always 
make sure that I am always on my best behavior.

We were waiting for Third Coast Vinyl to open so we decided to hit up Valy Vietnamese and Oriental Market. I REALLY LOVE THIS PLACE! The owner is the nicest lady on the block! She always has a smile upon her face and exotic items in her shop. Everything from shoes to snacks and cool cat clocks with waving paws. I could go on about this place forever, but you just really need to go see it for yourself. 
Check out Valy's here: Valy's Oriental Market

Insider Tip: Look in her freezer and thank me later.

Next we visited Paul at Third Coast Vinyl, I admire looking through different types of records, some old, some new, some pop, country, acoustic, or rock, he has it all! Plus Paul knows I have an old Victrola so he does a very caring thing, he collects Victrola records for me!
Check out Third Coast Vinyl Here: Third Coast Vinyl

Insider Tip: We love Third Coast Vinyl so much that if you buy something there and bring your receipt to our coffee shop we will give you 10 percent off! Also always walk in with a smile and ask lots of questions, Paul has the answers. 

It was getting time to go home...and my brothers and dad were at home and hungry. We decided to treat them to the absolute best burgers in town from Hamburger Mikeys, They were very happy when we brought home burgers and fries for them. 
Check out Hamburger Mikeys here: Hamburger Mikey's news!

Insider Tip: Order your toppings on the side for picky eaters.

I was sad my morning adventures with Sarah were coming to an end 
but we still had a whole day ahead of us. 
You've read about all of the fun things we did now 
here's a picture of some of the fun things we bought!
Checkout Downtown Muskegon here: Downtown Muskegon Info

Insider Tip: Be sure to be on the lookout for new things to do and my next blog!



Comments

  1. Love it, Boots! Sounds like a fun day...my kind of adventures! I really like your writing and the inviting way you tell stories. Long ago, I used to blog, now I'm a new fan of your blog! ~Mrs. Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, Bootsy!
    Love, dabu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! #frescomercato
    - ken - the noodle man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ken! I added a link to your Facebook page in the blog. I am glad you commented. The noodles we had were delicious!

      Delete
  4. What a gal! Awesome job little lady. Proud of you😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts